Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Just about home

Yesterday was a busy morning.  Shane got up at 4 am because he couldn't sleep.  He woke me up at 6:30 am to get ready for the day.  We packed and left the hotel around 8 am and was at the Clinic around 8:30 for an appointment with a nurse for 9 am.

With Cleveland now managing my TPN, we had some training we had to go through.  She said it would take a couple hours to go through it all.  I had to show to her that I knew how to change out the end caps to my Hickman Line and Shane had to show how he does a dressing change.  She gave us both a few tips of things we can do to make it easier and better.  I now will have to record all my intake and outputs daily and send them in weekly.  They are wanting to wean the TPN down from 20 hours a day to about 12 hours.  They are also changing the TPN and only doing lipids once a week.  So instead of my TPN being a white milky color it will be a neon yellow.  Maybe like a Mountain Dew or Mellow Yellow color.  I think they said they do it this way to protect the liver.  I felt bad because both Shane and I sat in the room and we both were beat.  I kept yawning and had a hard time trying to stay focused.  Before we could leave, she sent me down for a chest x-ray to see where the placement of the Hickman Line tip in correlation to the heart.  

By the time we finally got out of there it was close to 1pm.  By then Shane and I were exhausted.  My body ached and I had a sore throat.  Shane was driving and so tired and I was not any help.  I tried to stay awake for him, but I couldn't and fell asleep.  We ended up getting a room for the night in Elkhart, Indiana.  There was just no way we could drive the rest.  We pushed it just to make it this far.    Nothing like going to sleep at 8:45 at night.  Ahhh!  It felt good!  Down side to that is I was wide awake at 11:45 and felt as though I had a full nights rest.  I laid there for a long time listening to the guy in the next room snore.  Seriously-it sounded at times as though he was in our room.  I think with me being a light sleeper that ear plugs would be a good investment.

So thankful that God has given us a safe trip and beautiful fall weather.  I'll enjoy the colors again the rest of the way home today.    God is so good!  I have so much to be thankful for!

No comments: